ShortTask Privacy Notice
Last updated: February 16, 2009
ShortTask will NEVER sell or share ANY of your personal information with ANY third party, ever. All information that our customers provide is held in the utmost care and security and will NEVER be shared with ANY third party.
The Short Task servers use Secure Socket Layer (SSL), an advanced encryption technology that works with Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator (versions 2.0 and higher), Mozilla, Microsoft Internet Explorer (versions 3.0 and higher), and AOL (AOL 3.0 and higher). This encryption provides the best possible protection from unauthorized parties accessing any information you send to us.
What Personal Information About Users Does ShortTask Gather?
The information we learn from users helps us personalize and continually improve your experience at the ShortTask site. Here are the types of information we gather.
- Information You Give Us: We receive and store any information you enter on our Web site or give us in any other way. Specifically, to register with the ShortTask site, you must provide us your full name and email address. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of our features. We use the information that you provide for such purposes as responding to your requests, customizing the site for you, improving our site, and communicating with you.
- Automatic Information: We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many Web sites, we use "cookies," and we obtain certain types of information when your Web browser accesses the ShortTask site. A number of companies offer utilities designed to help you visit Web sites anonymously. Although we will not be able to provide you with a personalized experience at ShortTask if we cannot recognize you, we want you to be aware that these tools exist.
- E-mail Communications: By registering on the ShortTask site, you will receive emails from ShortTask and/or its Affiliates. As a ShortTask site participant, it may be necessary for us to communicate with you to provide essential operational updates, status reports, transaction information, notices in connection with your account and other information relevant to your participation and use of the Web site (collectively "Essential Communications"). You may not opt out of such Essential Communications, and you agree to receipt of Essential Communications via email and/or other communication methods provided by you in your account registration. If we send newsletters and other non-essential email communications, we will give you the opportunity to unsubscribe to them. To help us make e-mails more useful and interesting, we may receive a confirmation when you open email from ShortTask if your computer supports such capabilities.
- Information from Other Sources: We might receive information about you from other sources and add it to our account information.
What About Cookies?
- Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and to provide features such as personalization.
- The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. However, cookies allow you to take full advantage of the ShortTask site's features, and in order to participate, you must leave them turned on.
Does ShortTask Share the Information It Receives?
Information about our users is an important part of our business, and we are not in the business of selling it to others. We share information with our affiliate companies (See ShortTask Participation Agreement) that either are subject to this Privacy Notice or follow practices at least as protective as those described in this Privacy Notice.
- With Your Consent: By accepting the ShortTask Participation Agreement, you expressly consent to our use of your information as outlined in this Privacy Notice.
- Participants: As a Seeker or Solver through the ShortTask site, we may share certain information in order to facilitate the service relationship and to improve the Web site. For example, account numbers, account names, feedback, ratings and other attributes relating to use of the service may be publicly displayed on the Web site. In addition, Seekers may require prospective Solvers to disclose additional information about themselves as a condition to accepting services from those Solvers.
- Agents: We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include analyzing data, processing payments, and providing customer service. They have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes.
- Promotional Offers: We may send offers to selected groups of ShortTask users on behalf of other businesses. When we do this, we do not give that business your personal information. If you do not want to receive such offers, we will give you the opportunity to unsubscribe to them.
- Business Transfers: As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy additional services or business units. In such transactions, user information generally is one of the transferred business assets, but remains subject to the promises made in any pre-existing Privacy Notice (unless, of course, the user consents otherwise). Also, in the event that ShortTask or substantially all of its assets are acquired, user information will of course be one of the transferred assets.
- Protection of ShortTask and Others: We release account and other personal information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law; enforce or apply the ShortTask Participation Agreement and other agreements; or protect the rights, property, or safety of ShortTask, our users, or others. This includes (1) exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction; and (2) if you are a Solver on the ShortTask site, we will release your name and address only to Seekers for whom you provide services so that those Seekers can comply with tax and other legal obligations they might have. Obviously, however, this does not include selling, renting, sharing, or otherwise disclosing personally identifiable information from users for commercial purposes in violation of the commitments set forth in this Privacy Notice.
How Secure Is Information About Me?
- We work to protect the security of your information during transmission.
- It is also important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computer. Be sure to sign off when finished using a shared computer.
What Choices and Access Do I Have?
- As discussed above, you can always choose not to provide information, even though it might be needed to take full advantage of the ShortTask site.
- You can add or update certain information, such as your e-mail address or account information by going to the "Your Account" feature of the Web site. When you update information, we usually keep a copy of the prior version for our records.
Use of the ShortTask site is limited to persons and entities that lawfully can enter into and form contracts under applicable law. It is not intended for use by minors.
Participation Agreement, Notices, and Revisions
If you choose to visit ShortTask, your visit and any dispute over privacy is subject to this Privacy Notice and the ShortTask Participation Agreement, including limitations on damages, arbitration of disputes, and application of the law of the state of California. If you have any concern about privacy at ShortTask, please contact us with a thorough description, and we will try to resolve it.
Our business changes constantly, and our Privacy Notice and the ShortTask Participation Agreement will change also. We may e-mail periodic reminders of our notices and conditions, but you should check our Web site frequently to see recent changes. Unless stated otherwise, our current Privacy Notice applies to all information that we have about you and your account. We stand behind the promises we make, however, and will never materially change our policies and practices to make them less protective of user information collected in the past without the consent of affected users.
Related Practices and Information
Information You Give Us
You provide most such information when you register, list, search, post, or communicate with us. For example, you provide information when you search for a service; provide information in our registration form; or list a service you'd like to purchase or provide. As a result of those actions, you might supply us with such information as your name, address, and phone numbers; services you request; services you provide; services you review; drivers license; social security number; bank account information and other personally identifiable information.
Examples of the information we collect and analyze include the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet; login; e-mail address; password; computer and connection information such as browser type and version, operating system, and platform; the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through, and from our Web site, including date and time; cookie number; and pages you viewed or searched for.